Monday, July 6, 2009

East/West Series

East/West #7
East/West #6

East/West #6 - close up


East/West #9

After 9/11, I was let go from my job working at a telecommunication company...it was a good time to re-connect with my creative side, but it was also a time of great stress, without a job and a way to take care of my family...the image of floating heads kept appearing and I knew I had to follow the vision...these heads represent the everyman...the idea that anyone can be a hero, like so many that lost their lives in the terrorist attacks...borne out of this concept, combined with my interest and work in Eastern, atmospheric paintings, I combined the worlds of East and West...


I was asked several times why the faces seem so sad and so disconnected...I struggled with this thought, why aren't they more heroic looking? It wasn't until I was on a business trip in Switzerland, sitting on the train going back to Zurich that I realized why they have the expression...almost everyone on the train had their look, they were tired and worn down from their day...they were lost in thought and hoping to recharge...these faces are the faces of every hard working human being...floating in a sea of gold and waiting to wake up from their day (evening) dream...



No comments:

Post a Comment